Sunday, October 9, 2011

My reflections on Occupy Los Angeles

My wife Alma and I have been in downtown Los Angeles the past two Saturdays, taking part in the 'Occupy Los Angeles' event.


I actually have mixed feelings about the Occupy phenomenon. While I find it inspiring, I remain somewhat skeptical about its ability to change anything substantial.

One percent of the U.S. population controls 40% of the productive assets of the U.S. And 10 percent of the U.S. population controls 80% of the productive assets of the U.S. But I hear nothing specific put of the Occupy jmovement that would alter in any signficant way these property relationships. There's little talk of taxing the shit out of people like the late Steve Jobs. And certainly no discussion whatsoever of confiscating or expropriating some or all of the property of the wealthiest families in the U.S. Without an alteration in the fundamental property relations, I am not sure that anything fundamental will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment